Ice cream is by far my most favorite dessert. With summer and warm weather rolling around, there is nothing more satisfying than a big scoop of this creamy, delicious food. Unless you have a true allergy, I don’t believe in eliminating or putting certain foods off limit in the same sense that I don’t believe in crash diets that force you to give up all your favorite foods. When you deprive yourself of certain foods, this only results in bouts of binge eating when your willpower is low. (Think of going for food after the bar, do you really need eat that entire large Oreo Mcflurry, or that large poutine at Smokes?). Instead, proper portion sizes and making ice cream a once and awhile treat, is a great way to still get the things you love without ballooning in your bikini this summer. Here’s my tips on for smart choices:
1. Watch out for premium flavours, a half-cup of Haagen–Daaz Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream has 360 calories and 24 grams of fat! And you can’t tell me you only eat half a cup at a time…
2. Instead hop on the fro-yo craze and get a cup of non-fat chocolate frozen yogurt and add a FEW pieces of Reese’s peanut butter cups on top to satisfy your sweet tooth with way less calories
3. Don’t drink your ice cream calories, milkshakes can have just as many, if not more calories than a single serving of ice cream, if you going to indulge at least make it something worthwhile
4. Think like a kid. Order the kiddie cone of my ultimate pick the mini blizzard or snack size Mcflurry. This way you still get all the deliciousness you want, but in a better controlled portion size
5. If that tub of ice cream in your freezer appears to empty faster than your gas tank, try buying individual portion sizes of ice cream or ice cream bars limit yourself. I LOVE Presidents choice Blue Menu Greek Yogurt Smoothie Bars. They are super creamy and only 100 calories each. Any of the Skinny cow products (cones, ice cream sandwiches, ice cream cups) are good too, believe me I’ve tried them all!