Saturday 30 November 2013

What's in Your Shower?

Today is the last day of November, which means two very important things: it’s time to say goodbye to the flurry of nasty moustaches that have invaded our cities, and according to a special someone, I am officially allowed to play Christmas music in the apartment tomorrow. This morning I found myself scouring the shelves of Winner’s for some healthy foodie finds (side post, HomeSense and Winners are GREAT for organics and specialty health foods). I came out triumphant with a giant bag of Organic Traditions Holy Basil Tulsi Tea and Giddy Yoyo Maca Root! In making my way to the home section, I couldn’t help but noticed the rows of gift baskets and packaged spa sets at the front of the store. With so many Secret Santa, potlucks, and holiday gifts for co-workers or bosses to buy for, it can be tempting to pick up a generic gift basic filled with the usual bubble bath lotion ensemble. Since beginning my studies at CCNM, I have become much more aware of not only what I put in my body, BUT on it as well. When you eat something like McDonalds, you know you’re feeding you body crap, but are you aware of what chemicals you are putting on your largest organ, the skin? This list displayed on the websites and infographic below are by no means exhaustive but provide a good idea of ingredients worth avoiding in skincare, face, or hair products. Although the junk food in my house is minimal, the amount of junk in my bathroom is atrocious. In an effort to slowly convert over to all natural skin care and beauty products, I bought some amazing Green Beaver toothpaste, deodorant and lip balm at the Whole Life Expo last weekend. Tomorrow, I plan to look for some better body lotion and body wash products by Desert Essence or similar brands in Kensington Market.

Given it’s exam time and I am feeling the crunch (homeopathy acutes have taken over my life) I decided not to paraphrase what I found online but instead direct you to some websites that offer sound advice on ingredients worth avoiding.





No comments:

Post a Comment